"A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes. Dramatic themes such as alcoholism, drug addiction, racial prejudice, religious intolerance, poverty, crime and corruption put the characters in conflict with themselves, others, society and even natural phenomena. ..."
Generally serious films that portray realistic stories and characters
- Amistad - 1997 Steven Spielberg movie about the slave trade in the early 19th century
- Bridge on the River Kwai, The - 1957 Oscar-winning movie starring Alec Guiness and William Holden
- Casablanca - 1942 Oscar-winning movie starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman
- Cool Hand Luke - 1967 movie about a nonconformist in a prison chain gang
- Dead Poets Society - 1989 movie about a teacher who inspires his students to seize the day
- Farewell My Concubine - 1993 Chinese film recounting the life of two Beijing Opera performers
- Fountainhead, The - 1949 movie based on Ayn Rand's novel about architect Howard Roark
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - 1967 Stanley Kramer movie about interracial marriage
- Killing Fields, The - 1984 historical drama about the Khmer Rouge regime
- Man for All Seasons, A - 1966 historical drama recounting the story of how Sir Thomas More stood up to King Henry VIII
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - 1939 American dramatic film, Oscar-nominated and winner for Original Story
- Network - 1976 movie, famous for the line "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore"
- Official Story, The - 1985 movie about an Argentine mother discovering her adopted daughter may be the child of a "desaparecida"
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 1975 Oscar-winning movie starring Jack Nicholson and directed by Milos Forman
- Paths of Glory - 1957 Stanley Kubrick film starring Kirk Douglas, set in France during World War I
- Shenandoah - 1965 movie about life in the middle of the American War Between the States
- Tailor of Panama, The - 2001 film based on the John le Carré spy novel
- To Kill a Mockingbird - 1962 movie, based on Harper Lee's novel, about Atticus Finch
- To Live - 1994 Zhang Yimou film telling the struggles of a Chinese family from the 1940s through the Cultural Revolution
- V for Vendetta - 2006 movie about a Fawkesian anarchist battling a police state in a near-future United Kingdom
Drama film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia