Speculative or quasi-scientific films typically depicting futuristic or imaginary settings
- Brazil - 1985 comedic film about a bureaucratic future, written and directed by Terry Gilliam
- Fahrenheit 451 - 1966 movie based on the Ray Bradbury novel depicting a society where books have been outlawed
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1956 science-fiction movie about alien "pods" taking over individuals in a small town
- Matrix, The - 1999 Wachowski Brothers movie about simulated reality
- Minority Report - 2002 Steven Spielberg film based on Philip K. Dick's concept of "pre-crime"
- Serenity - 2005 Joss Whedon movie continuing on the Firefly television series
- Star Wars - 1977 science fiction movie, known as "Episode IV: A New Hope", first release of the series