Central America (Spanish: América Central, Centroamérica) is the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent, which connects with the South American continent on the southeast. Central America is bordered by Mexico to the north, Colombia to the southeast, the Caribbean Sea to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west and south. Central America consists of seven countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama. The combined population of Central America has been estimated to be 41,739,000 (2009 estimate) and 42,688,190 (2012 estimate).
- Costa Rica - Territory in Central America, ruled since 1949 by the República de Costa Rica
- El Salvador - Territory in Central America, ruled since 1983 by the República de El Salvador
- Guatemala - Territory in Central America, ruled since 1985 by the República de Guatemala
- Honduras - Territory in northern Central America, ruled since 1982 by the República de Honduras
- Nicaragua - Territory in Central America, ruled since 1987 by the República de Nicaragua
- Panama - Territory in south Central America, ruled since 1903 by the República de Panama
The introductory paragraph uses material from the Wikipedia article "Central America" as of 05 Nov 2018, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.